Saturday, December 11, 2010

Frugal Christmas Gifts: Food Dehydrator

It was a good day when I purchased my Excalibur food dehydrator.  I dry excess produce, fruit leather, yogurt leather (tastes like taffy) and plan on making my own soup mixes using my own dehydrated vegetables and beans.  Dehydrated food takes up very little space in the pantry, but reconstitutes into a flavor and nutrient rich food product.

Once again, I will emphasize the need for frugal people to begin to reduce our dependance on traditional food suppliers.  Having our food stored in our pantry protects us from store closures, loss of income and disasters.  Living in Florida I always think of hurricane preparedness, but the causes of food shortages are varied.

And of course there is the fun factor.  Drying your own food and trying new recipes using your dehydrator (I'm thinking grapenuts here) is just plain fun.  To make your fun and your dehydrator last a good long while, buy the best you can afford.  It is well worth it.

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment