Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Frugal Kitchen: Flour Shakers

Don't we all do it?  When baking I will grease my pan, then throw in several tablespoons of flour and dust it around the inside of the pan.  I end up throwing most of the flour into the trash can.   Wasteful and definitely not frugal.

I remembered my grandma having a flour shaker to evenly shake flour into her pans or on the table before kneading bread dough.  No wasted tablespoons of flour for her.  Flour shakers were found in all mid-twentieth century American kitchens.  People had been through the Great Depression; they were not going to waste even the smallest bit of food.


Flour shakers came in many styles and sizes, but they all had fairly small holes in the top to control the amount of flour that came out.


Grandma had one with a handle that made it easy for her to grasp when her hands were wet or greasy.

Just like Grandma's

If you can't find an old flour shaker try making a simple one at home.  Take an empty spice jar with the shaker top still intact.  Fill with flour, save money and avoid wasting food.  Just like Grandma!

God bless,
Pam

5 comments:

  1. My flour excess usually ends up in the chicken bucket, but this is still a great idea! More flour for me, less for the chickens. Besides, they've never even thanked me for those extra flour sprinkles in their bucket....ungrateful little buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickens are rather narcissistic creatures. All me me me.

    God bless,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea. I am going to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah good idea in making my own shakers

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I remember now seeing one at my grandmas... I need to to make one to help with my bread baking.

    ReplyDelete