Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gym Offers Aerobics For Babies

Yesterday I was amazed to see on the news that a local gym is offering aerobics classes for infants. On comes video of six month old children lying on their backs with their parents, following an instructor's instructions, manipulating their arms and legs for them. Oookaaay!
Really?

Let me tell you about frugal homemaker baby aerobics; baby proof the family room, lay down a large quilt on the floor, lay baby on quilt, sit on couch and watch baby do it's thing.

Babies are beautifully made to do their own aerobics, using their body weight and the floor's resistance to strengthen their muscles. Plus their natural movements are age appropriate, avoiding injury.

I used to lay on the floor and let dear daughter crawl all over me. Sort of a mommy jungle Jim. She had fun and I was resting.

Unstructured play time is essential for children's development. Most children in today's society go from one scheduled activity to another with precious little time for free play. Please, let's not add infant aerobics to the mix.

God bless,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Baby Aerobics? What a ridiculous idea! I agree wholeheartedly with you. The problem is now, there will be people now who think in order to be a good parents, you have to bring your baby to baby aerobics. Grrr...the state of the world, I tell ya...

    ReplyDelete