Monday, September 19, 2011

The Holidays Are Coming, Let's Get Frugal

Yes, I know that it is only September, but now is the time to start preparing for the holidays if you want to keep them calm and frugal.  Just do a little each day to prepare and you can avoid those crazy busy days where you clean or shop for 14 hours and you've still spent too much money and the house isn't the way your envisioned it.

Yesterday I began to go through all of our books.  Any that have not been used for reference or read within the last year I have either sold to Powells or given to the local library.  At Powell's you can either get store credit or Paypal credit.  You get more money if you choose store credit and I always get dear husband and daughter books for Christmas, so that is my choice.

Powell's In Portland, Oregan


Next I will be going through my belongings to see what I can sell on Ebay or give to charity.  Some of my Christmas shopping will be done on Ebay or using Paypal, so there is more money saved.



While you are going through your belongings it is the perfect opportunity to do some deep cleaning.  Take all the books off of the bookshelves and do a thorough dusting of both the shelves and the books.  The same goes for cabinets and storage shelves.  Now you won't need to worry about getting this done before having the family over for the holidays.

Be brutal and honest when going through things.  I am serious, unless it is a treasured family heirloom, if your haven't used it for a year why do you keep it?  Time to purge and make some money.

God bless,
Pam

2 comments: