Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Frugal Garden: San Marzano Tomatoes

When planning my Fall garden I am taking into account my limited garden area and our easy access to local u-pick farms.  If I had a huge garden I would gladly grow enough generic tomatoes to supply my canning, but without a large garden I pick my basic canning tomatoes at one of my favorite u-pick farms.

The tomatoes I grow in my garden need to be hard to find locally and known for their high quality.  I've already talked about my favorite summer yellow grape tomatoes, but for fall I am going to concentrate on tomatoes that are great in salsas and sauces.

If you watch the Food Network, you have seen the chefs touting the taste and quality of San Marzano tomatoes.  They are an Italian paste tomato with a rich, full flavor.


San Marzano's hold up to cooking and are fleshy enough to make a thick salsa.  They are a beautiful, red plum shaped tomato.


Give these tomatoes a try.  Versatile and tasty.  A great frugal choice for a smaller garden.

God bless,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Will write this one down in my garden list for next year, thanks for the suggestion! And, hopefully, I'll get more than ONE stinking tomato next year!!!

    ReplyDelete