Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Frugal Kitchen: Soup Base

Walk into the kitchen at any diner or restaurant and you will find soup base.  It is used to enrich soups, stews and sauces with a more intense flavor than stock.  Often it is added in small amounts to add a depth and strength to stock.



I always keep four kinds of soup base in my pantry:  chicken, beef, ham and vegetable.  I add it when I feel that a recipe tastes good, but I want more flavor.  It is economical and is now available to the home cook at the grocery store.

The ham base tastes great in bean and vegetable dishes.  It tastes as if I have been cooking all day with a hamhock or piece of ham.  One tablespoon in the pot makes a huge difference.


For a few pennies you can take a meal from ho hum to great.  Frugal and it makes the cook's job easier!

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment