Monday, August 22, 2011

The Frugal Kitchen: Pork Tenderloin With Gravy

Pork tenderloin is such an easy meat to cook and so versatile, it was always a staple in our home as I was growing up.  It is lean so it must either be cooked quickly or very slowly to keep it tender and moist.  Only 122 calories for 3 ounces.

For this recipe I am cooking my tenderloins low and slow.  I seldom take meat out the night before to defrost.  My tried and true method of defrosting meat is to float it in a sink of cold water; it should defrost in about an hour for smaller cuts of meat.

Tenderloin In The Pool

Add some olive oil to the cast iron pan, heat to medium high, then brown all sides of the meat.  If the meat sticks when you try to turn it the meat is not completely browned.  Wait until the meat is free of the pan before you turn it.  Season meat well with salt and pepper.

Brown On Medium High

Now add large diced vegetables of your choice.  I added potatoes, onions and whole garlic cloves.  Almost completely cover with broth.  Sprinkle in any herbs that your family enjoys.  Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover.




I let this cook for two hours, then checked the meat.  It was fully cooked, but still moist.  Remove the meat and vegetables to a platter.  Cover and keep warm.

Make gravy by bringing broth in pan to a boil.  Mix two or three tablespoons of cornstarch with water.  Stir into boiling broth; it should thicken quickly.  Taste and adjust seasoning.

Add Cornstarch

It's Gravy

Serve the tenderloin and vegetables with the gravy on the side.  The next day you can use the leftovers to make a pork open face sandwich.  Enjoy!

Enough Food For Two Or Three Meals

God bless,
Pam

3 comments:

  1. Scrumptious! Where did you learn to cook? ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to cook from my mother and both grandmothers. In my family girls were given responsibilities in the kitchen at a young age. I was able to cook a simple family supper by the time I was nine. This comes from our history of living on farms and having large families.

    Even though we have a small family and live in the suburbs, I have continued the family tradition by teaching my daughter cooking skills when she was young. She can safely use a knife and is a natural with bread dough.

    God bless,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your site! I am beginning to live frugally myself and clip a ton of coupons. My husband and I are trying to live off grid a small step at a time in our old farmhouse. We recently created a new website about it. Please check it out and comment if you like.
    www.quiettimes.webs.om

    ReplyDelete