Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Countdown: Cooking In Advance

I have a small oven and I need to make as many of our Thanksgiving dishes in advance.  Between my tiny oven and the microwave I manage to cook turkey, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, dressing and cranberry relish.

Last night I made the cranberry relish.  Homemade is so much better than the canned relish and, please, don't serve that stuff that comes out shaped like the can.  In a sauce pan put the juice of one orange and two bags of fresh cranberries.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.  When the berries have burst their skins add a cup of white sugar and the zest of one orange.  Simmer for a few more minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.  Store in the refrigerator.

Today I am making green bean casserole (all fresh ingredients), sweet potato casserole and cornbread for the dressing.  I am cleaning between bouts of cooking and getting my table ready.  We can eat in the Florida room for a couple of days.

Unfortunately, dear daughter is sick with a cold and I can feel one coming on.  The house won't be immaculate this holiday and we won't use the good silver, but I learned long ago that our expectations for celebrations in our home are much greater than those of our guests.  Most guests are just happy to be in your home with family and friends.  They don't care if the house and table are perfect.

Go easy on yourself.

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment