Friday, November 5, 2010

Lifestyle Choices

Thirteen years ago I became ill with a systemic infection, then three years ago I went through treatments for breast cancer and last, but not least, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  When faced with severe illness and possible death I was forced to slow down.  When my life was less hurried I began to reevaluate the life choices I had made.  Was I happy as a childless, middle aged career woman?  The answer was that I knew that I was missing some very important elements in my life.

I had wanted children, but put it off because I worked in public safety and I didn't want my children to be raised by someone else.  Age had also become a factor.

My work was all encompassing.  Even when I began working part time the weird hours and job stress put a strain on my home life.  When I was honest with myself, I felt most alive when I was at home caring for my house, garden and family.

Faith.  Gee, who had time for faith.  Religion had been pushed to a back burner.

So, what were my choices?  I chose to adopt my daughter when I was 43 (almost 44) years old.  I became a stay at home wife and mother.  Three years ago, after closely examining my religious beliefs and researching the philosophies of different religious groups, I became Mennonite.

Here I am, having penuried myself to live this lifestyle, and I am truly thankful that God led me to make these hard, but satisfying choices.  Not everyone is able to or wishes to live my lifestyle.  But we all need to take the time for self examination.  Let's make sure we are living the life we were meant to live.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your life and style, your helpful tips and most of all your inspiring example. I am not so eloquent and your thoughtful writing has impressed me to search my own feelings and capacity a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete