Thursday, March 15, 2012

Damp Dust During Pollen Season

Dusting with a feather duster, Swiffer or a dry rag may work during normal times, but if you have allergies the best way to get rid of dust is by damp dusting.  Dry dusting only causes dust and pollen to become airborne and then, to be breathed in or to resettle somewhere else.

Microfiber Cloth

Grab your cleaning cloth (I prefer microfiber) and a bottle filled with water.  I sometimes add a few drops of essential oil to the water to make the work a bit more pleasant.  A little aromatherapy while working can't be a bad thing.

Generic Spray Bottle

Do not spray water onto the furniture!  Instead, spray a very light mist of water onto all the surfaces of your cloth.  Then squeeze the cloth to distribute the water throughout.  The cloth should only feel slightly damp, not wet.


Wipe your furniture down without shaking out the rag.  When the rag is completely dirty just get a clean one.  The idea is to trap the pollen and dust, then wash it down the drain in your washing machine.

I use the damp dusting method most of the time.  I only wax or oil my furniture about four times a year.  By damp dusting I avoid a build up of cleaning products which can actually harm the finish on wood furniture plus I cut down on allergens in the house.

God bless,
Pam

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.....wonder if I could just "damp dust" the cats??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! My family has allergies, so I often dust while they're away. I had never considered not dry dusting.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cats will probably prefer that you use a rubber scrub brush. The rubber bristles are great at removing their loose fur and most cats enjoy the feeling of being brushed.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete