Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Breast Cancer Screening

So, what's frugal about getting screened for breast cancer?  It's all about catching the disease while it is still small and noninvasive.  Then you can be treated with the less intense methods; saving you physical, emotional and financial wear and tear.



Why am I bringing this up today after breast cancer awareness month has come and gone?  Because I have just passed my five year breast cancer screening (mammogram and sonogram).  Five years ago a nodule was discovered in my left breast during a routine screening mammogram.  It was biopsied and I was diagnosed with a very small, Stage 1 cancerous tumor.

It was caught very early and as a result I was able to treat it will a partial mastectomy (lumpectomy) and radiation therapy.  I have been cancer free for five years as of today.  I thank God that I had developed the habit of having regular screenings.

So be medically frugal:  learn to do monthly breast self exams (and teach your daughters) and have mammograms and other screenings as recommended.  Trust me, it's worth it.

God bless,
Pam Moore

1 comment:

  1. Congrats and may God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete