Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Frugal Home: Sell Your Old Books

When organizing and purging your clutter don't ignore your bookshelves and those piles of books on the bedside table. Ask yourself if you will read this book on a regular basis? Is it available at the library if you do decide to re-read it?

I decided that I will only keep a library of reference books for cooking and crafts that I often do.   And I have a few favorites that I read one or two times a year.

Books are expensive and have a great deal of value; don't just give them away, first try to sell them. Amazon buys used textbooks, but I prefer to sell my books to Powells bookstore.  Powells gives a store credit on books they choose to buy, which I find works well for gift giving.

Any books that I am unable to sell I donate to the library.  They have a Friends of the Library bookstore that resells donated books for the benefit of the library.  It's win, win all around.

God bless,
Pam

4 comments:

  1. If you like to continue "recycling" and reading books, try Paperback Swap (www.paperbackswap.com). I've used them for about a year and have been pretty happy with the service. Although I will admit, I sometimes have a "problem" purging my library, but thanks for the reminder. I may just go down there and see what books can be donated or sent to the book exchange. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Powells. I sell books to them on-line a lot, and buy occassionally also. I try to visit the store itself at least once a year when we go to Portland to visit my daughters. We get totally absorbed in that store. My hubby, who is not a reader, hates to go with us. I also get rid of books through www.paperbackswap.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two. I am definitely going to try the paperback swap site. I've heard so many wonderful things about Powells I hope I can visit some day.

    God bless,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this tip!! I do sell a lot of my books on amazon and on ebay. But, I love powells website!! Thanks, Pam!!

    ReplyDelete