Monday, November 18, 2013

The Frugal Kitchen: Apple Crisp

Every year I order a 1/2 bushel of apples and enough pecans for holiday cooking from my local 4-H.  We picked up our apples at the end of October and have been enjoying them ever since.



My original plan was to make some apple butter, but in looking at the pantry I realized that I still had plenty of jars left over from last year.  So I have been adjusting some old favorite recipes to make them fast, frugal and easy.  Here's a quick and easy apple crisp.

INGREDIENTS

granola (I used Cascadian Farms brand)
5 large apples (firm cooking apples)
1/4-1/2 cup of white or brown sugar
2 heaping Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
butter

Peel and core apples.  Cut into 1/4 inch slices.



Grease an 8 inch pan with butter then layer apple slices in the bottom.



Mix the sugar, corn starch,salt and cinnamon together, then sprinkle over the top of the apples.  Dot with butter.


Layer granola over the top.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.


Bake until the apples are soft and the granola is nicely browned.



Serve in a bowl with a dollop of whipping cream or a scoop of ice cream.

Enjoy!

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment