Friday, February 17, 2012

The Frugal Kitchen: Beef and Noodles

Yesterday I wanted to serve something that I knew my fussy eater daughter would like.  So, I decided to go for that old favorite, beef and noodles.  It is a super easy recipe, but does take a long and low cook time.





BEEF AND NOODLES

beef stew meat
1 can beef consomme
1 can beef and onion soup
pepper to taste
1 pkg. wide egg noodles
flour
water
olive oil

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pot.  Add your beef (cut into one inch chunks) and one tablespoon of flour.  Brown well, then add the consomme and soup.  Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer and cover.  Simmer for two hours adding pepper midway through cooking.  Mix three tablespoons flour with water to make a slurry.  Add slurry to pan, stirring well, then cover while you are cooking your noodles.  Taste the beef and add salt if needed.  Serve over noodles.  Sprinkle with the herb of your choice.

This recipe can be made in a crock pot.  After bringing to a boil, add to crock pot and cook on slow for the day.  Enjoy!

God bless,
Pam

4 comments:

  1. I think mushrooms would be a great addition to this. It looks so good. But I don't think I would add the mushrooms at the beginning.

    I love my crockpot. I have a 45 minute drive to pick my hubby up from work and the crockpot allows me to have dinner waiting rather than have him have to wait while I cook when we get home.

    Have a very blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    This is definitely a recipe that can be expanded upon. Mushrooms and sour cream would move it toward stroganoff.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy-I wonder if my picky 2 would eat it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great supper to have waiting after a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete