Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Harvesting Onions

 I had a bumper crop of onions this year.  I used them to fill in any spaces between plants and a couple of regular rows.  I ordered the slips from Hoss Tools and they grew beautifully.  I’m impressed by the quality of the seeds and plants I’ve purchased from them.  They are all developed to do well in hot, humid conditions, so perfect for Florida.

You can tell onions are ready for harvest when the green tops fall over.  After harvest I cured them by using some old clothes pins to hang them on my wire fencing.  This works better for me as I don’t need to worry about moisture in the ground causing the onions to rot.

I finished them by weaving a couple of onion braids and decided to dry the rest in my dehydrator.  I sliced them into 1/4 inch pieces and it took about two days for the onions to be completely dried.  Now they are stored away in 1/2 gallon jars.

This may sound strange, but dried onions make a tasty snack.  Onions naturally have a lot of sugar, which concentrates when they are dried.



I hope you enjoy my short video.

God bless,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment