Monday, February 16, 2015

The Frugal Kitchen: Vegetarian Pasta Puttanesca

I made this dish today and it was so easy and yummy that I had to share.

INGREDIENTS

1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 Tbs. fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of roughly diced pitted kalamata olives
2 Tbs. capers
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 package of pasta

Heat the olive oil in a heavy sauce pan, then add onion.  Cook until transparent, adding garlic, capers and pepper flakes for the last minute of cooking.  Add tomatoes, basil, and olives.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for at least an hour.


Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, then add to the sauce.  Mix together well and serve.  This is a vegan dish if you do not top it with parmesan, but I do like the cheese on mine.


Please excuse my horrible photo, but I hope you enjoy this dish.

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment