Saturday, March 1, 2014

No Computer = No Shopping

Last week I set out to do my grocery shopping at Publix.  When I got to the deli counter one of the workers informed me that they couldn't serve me because their computers were down.  Then they announced that the cashiers couldn't check anyone out because they couldn't scan barcodes.

I must have looked disbelieving because about four workers gathered around me to share this info with me again.  So, of course, I had to ask, "Why can't you serve me manually"?  They looked at me like I had grown a second head.  I went on to explain about battery or manually operated scales and this new thing called math.

They were all so baffled that I took pity on them and left.  On my drive to another store I wondered how many dollars in sales the store lost that morning.  Also, why wouldn't a large grocery chain have a back up plan for computer crashes?

I know I'm getting old now, with my reminiscing about the good old days when people could serve you, add up your totals and make change without a computer doing all the work.

God bless,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Ah the good days. What a funny yet realistic way to be reminded of them....:)

    ReplyDelete