Friday, July 19, 2013

Good Reads: The Ambitious Card

The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)The Ambitious Card by John Gaspard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I first saw that I would be reading a book in which the main character, Eli, is a magician, lives in the same building as his elderly uncle and is divorced I was a bit leery. Before I had even finished the first chapter I had fallen in love with Eli. He is intelligent, sensitive, witty and, suddenly, the main suspect in a series of murders.

The secondary characters are well developed and eclectic. The reader gets to meet magicians, psychics, skeptics, an ex-wife prosecutor and her homicide detective husband.

The murder mystery plot is well written, fast paced and exciting. I enjoyed the descriptions of magic tricks and the debunking of psychic phenomena that were included. A developing romance was a nice addition to the story.

I highly recommend The Ambitious Card and I look forward to reading more books in the Eli Marks mystery series.

ARC provided by Henery Press via Netgalley.  This book will be released on August 20, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment