Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Frugal Kitchen: Pressure Cooker Coconut Oatmeal

I love Irish oatmeal, not rolled oats, but the kind in the can that is the oat grain broken into pieces, not smooshed flat.  It's nutty flavored and has a satisfying tooth to it.  The drawback is that it has a fairly long cooking time.  We can remedy that by soaking the oatmeal overnight and/or using a pressure cooker.

INGREDIENTS 

1 cup Irish oatmeal
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

In your electric pressure cooker on sauté or a separate pan melt the oil, then add the oats.  Stir constantly to coat the oats with the oil and lightly toast them.  Dump the rest on the ingredients in the cooker, and set the delay to start cooking 1/2 hour before you want to serve them.  Program the cooker to cook on the Porridge/High setting for 14 minutes with a natural exhaust.

You can make this recipe in a regular pan by following the instructions and cooking covered for about half the time listed on the can/box.  The soaking overnight reduces the cooking time considerably.

Serve with milk, a teaspoon of sweetener of your choice and some fresh fruit.


This recipe made four servings.  It refrigerates well and can be reheated with some liquid in the microwave or stove top.

Enjoy!

God bless,
Pam

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if I needed a pressure cooker, and this makes me think it's more versatile than what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if I needed a pressure cooker, and this makes me think it's more versatile than what I thought.

    ReplyDelete