Saturday, September 8, 2012

Homemade Bath Salts

This is another frugal Christmas gift idea.  Today I was given some fresh rosemary and I decided to make an invigorating herbal bath salt.

Find a decorative jar (found mine at Target), fresh herbs, essential oil (optional), vitamin E oil (could also use almond oil, olive oil or jojoba oil) and epsom salts.

Basic Ingredients

Place a cup of epsom salts in jar or bowl.  Finely chop your herbs to release their essential oils.  Today I am using rosemary which some people are sensitive to, so I recommend testing this herb on your inner elbow to make sure it won't irritate your skin.



Mix the chopped herb into the epsom salts.



This mixture smelled nice and strong to me so I chose to not add the essential oil.  If it is not fragrant then I would add 10-20 drops of essential oil.  Since I did not add essential oil I decided to add a heaping teaspoon of vitamin E oil.



Stir and stir again until the oil is mixed throughout the salt.  It will all come together, just keep working at it.  At this point it is ready to use as a bath salt.  If you want to turn it into a salt scrub add more oil (olive, almond or jojoba) until it reaches a scrub consistency.

I like to add a pretty shell collected off of our local beach to use as a scoop.



The lid of the jar can be labeled and decorated if you wish.  Get creative and enjoy!

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment