Friday, June 15, 2012

Out Of Grandma's Kitchen: Butcher Knife

My grandparents on my mom's side of the family had very little in the way of material things.  They had 9 children, an elderly mother and, for a while, a grandson to care for.  My grandma raised all of their vegetables and fruit, canning all summer long with the help of her daughters.  Any meat that they ate either came from my great-grandma's farm or from hunting and fishing.

Grandpa had many mouths to provide for and he did it by working three jobs.  He worked full time, days on the railroad.  In the evening he bagged groceries at a local store, then he would come home to get a few hours of sleep.  At three in the morning he would wake up and work for the highway department putting up barriers on roads.  Then it all started over again.

When my mom and dad got married they were not given many gifts like people get today.  Instead they were given household items, many of them already used.  My grandparents couldn't afford much, but Grandpa did give my mom something that she kept close all of her life and that I value today.

The day before her wedding Grandpa handed Mom a well used butcher knife and said "every home needs a good butcher knife".  That was it and nothing more was said.  They weren't people that talked much about emotions and feelings.


I don't know much about this knife, but it was used by several generations of my family.  It's worn out, but still functional and will stay in my kitchen, close to the heart of my family for the rest of my life.

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment